Friday, December 24, 2010

Another Gluten-Free Holiday :)


Merry Christmas Eve, all!

Yeah...I'm a slacker-blogger :).

Thought I'd drop a quick post about my new favorite GF item...Progresso Soup! Many of their varieties are now gluten free....how awesome is that!  Be careful, not ALL of their soups are gluten free.  The ones that are, are clearly labeled on the can.

The most exciting to me thus far is the cream of mushroom soup....this is, in my opinion, a bit of a breakthrough in the gluten-free-cooking world.  Many casseroles call for a creamy soup...and creamy soups are typically rather hard to find (in my experience, anyway).  Now, though, a cream-based GF soup is easy to find at common grocery stores....and inexpensive to boot!

I used my first can of Progresso cream of mushroom soup today in a cheesy potato casserole dish that i made and brought to my in-laws' tonight for our Christmas Eve dinner.

The recipe called for 2 lbs of shredded frozen hash browns (I used Ore-Ida...GF), 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup of melted butter, 1 can of cream soup, salt/pepper to taste, and 1 cup of sour cream....I mixed all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and then spread in a 9x13 pan.

Before adding the cream of mushroom soup, i actually strained out the rather large chunks of mushrooms.  While I tend to enjoy mushrooms....my husband definitely doesn't.  So, the chunks had to go!

I baked the casserole at 350 for a little over an hour....and, since it sure wasn't fatty enough already ;), I sprinkled a bit of shredded cheddar on top before it was finished.

So, there you have it....a yummy, easy GF side dish that is sure to please the cheesy-potato lovers in your family :).

Merry Christmas!

Posted by Rachelyn via Blogaway

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I bought 4 cans of Progresso (on your recommendation AND because I had a coupon) ;) and used it to make a white bean chicken chili that was awesome! Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Yvonne said...

Yum! That sounds awesome, can't wait to make it. Whenever I see anything gluten-free, I always think of you!

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany