Monday, December 1, 2008

Adventures in Crock-Pot Cooking

So I believe myself to be one who can hold her own in the kitchen...I know the basics, I can cook, bake (I have won 3 bake-offs at my place of employment, pre gluten-free diet), and I basically know what's going on. I am one who can more or less throw things together and have them turn out decent-to-good. However, I am not very adventurous in my cooking. I would like to be more adventurous...but, alas, I am not. I kind of get stuck in a rut, more or less...making the same things, over and over. Jeremy seems to be fine with that...he has pretty simple (childish ;) )taste. However, I want to do more...I want to be more adventurous, AND I want to cook/bake more healthily. Of course, the gluten-free part means that I HAVE to prepare more healthy foods, so that's a blessing in disguise :).

I stopped home for a few minutes this morning on my way back to work from an off-site speech therapy appointment. A few weeks ago I purchased 2 Cornish hens from the grocery store (Tyson brand) and had them thawing in the fridge. Today I decided I'd prepare them for our dinner (and leftovers...we'll use the leftovers for some kind of casserole or something). I found a number of delicious-sounding, however labor-intensive, recipes...however I wimped out. Since I typically work until after 6pm, it's hard for me to prepare labor-intensive dinners. I threw the two hens in the crock pot and covered them with one box of Progresso chicken broth and one box of Trader Joe's vegetable broth. We'll see what happens ;). When I get home from work, I throw some carrots in there for a bit to soften up...and perhaps some potatoes, too. We'll see what happens!!

Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany