Friday, December 5, 2008

D-day and Holiday Woes

Well, I had another follow-up doctor's appointment today...and my doctor tacked on the big, "official" diagnosis of Celiac Sprue. Of course I kind of knew it ;), but it was weird-o to see it in writing!
He also showed me results of more bloodwork, showing that I have a B12 deficiency...so I have to take supplements. No biggie there, I guess. He said that could be why I've had the problem with fatigue...but who knows. Everything else, though, was good bloodwork-wise. Thyroid, liver, glucose, and everything else he checked (there were tons, I forgot most!) were all within expected levels. Great!
While it's a pretty weird feeling to be tainted....with a diagnosis of something meaning there is something WRONG with me...it's nice to hae answers...and it is SUCH a BLESSING that it's nothing worse. In the grand ol' scheme of things, this isn't a big deal! It is hard, yes, but not impossible.

The holidays, though, are kind of disappointing as a newly-diagnosed Celiac! Plans are currently in the works for a holiday dessert exchange at work...of course I want to participate, but I am torn! Should I make something gluten free that I can enjoy (it will likely be the only thing there that I am able to eat!), or should I make something "normal" that won't scare people away? I think what I will do is this...Jeremy has a favorite cookie that I bake, these chocolate cookies with Andes mints in them. I will make those and give him half of the batch to bring to work (his coworkers also adore them!) and bring the other half with me to work. Then, I will also bake something gluten free....maybe try another batch of those cookies, substituting gluten-free ingredients? We will see :). Andes Mints are in my gluten free shopping guide! :) Yahoo! So, while it will probably suck that day...sitting around while everyone is eating platefuls of holiday goodies...it won't be too bad. I know I can hold my own in the baking realm ;) so hopefully I'll get some compliments on my cookies...I'll have a little plate of something gluten free prepared for me that I can enjoy...and I can revel in the fact that I am not ODing on calories and sugar like everyone else! ;)

Sigh.

It will be ok! This is only the first of many gluten-free Christmases! It will get easier and it will still be fun. I have to remember not to let this (or anything for that matter!) take away from the TRUE meaning of Christmas...

In other news, tonight we are having dinner at Amy and Tom's and meeting baby Collin! I can't WAIT! I have my crock pot fired up...I am making my second batch of Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup! YUM! I am so excited to see them and to meet their baby! Hope the soup turns out well again the second time around and that it wasn't just beginners' luck last time ;). It should be ok...it's basically just throwing a bunch of cans together, after all! ;)

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany