Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bring on Thanksgiving

Well, the holiday I have anticipated with much trepidation is now upon us! Tomorrow is THANKSGIVING! Sigh...
It has now been 5 1/2 weeks of my gluten-free adventures...Saturday is the 6 week point. There have been many points during this seemingly short period of time when I have dreaded an event, or at least the "food" that went along with the event (i.e., my birthday, dinner at friends' homes, parties, traveling, etc.)...but none like Thanksgiving! Thanksgiving is food-centered (or so it seems...I know, I know...the real meaning of Thanksgiving is focusing on our families and the people we are most thankful for), and very gluten-filled (at least in typical families' homes). Turkey...and stuffing (gluten jackpot!). Pumpkin pie. Sweet potato caserole (the crumb topping). Green bean casserole (the cream of mushroom soup, the french fried onion topping). My mom's strawberry jello salad (graham cracker crust). Cheesy potatoes (cream of chicken soup). Rolls (obvious!). Even if an item doesn't seem overtly gluten-ous...say mashed potatoes...there is the very real liklihood that it was cross-contaminated. That is, there is a very good chance that during the preparation process, some gluten got into the item either from hands, utensils, dishes...anything, really.
Honestly, I've pretty much given up on Thanksgiving...on going crazy about it, that is. I am packing my fiber (it is always in my purse!) and will take some right away in the morning as well. I know I am going to consume gluten...but I will do my best to make sure it is as little as possible.
My mom called me last night...we are having ham and mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and her strawberry jello salad as far as the main items go. She is going to make me a small container of strawberry jello salad with no graham cracker bottom. Too bad that was the best part! ;) Just kidding. Not really. It is nice of her, though!! :) I think my mom is doing her best to ensure that I won't feel isolated...and that I won't get sick. Oh, I and I am making pumpkin bars (they are actually in the oven right now!) :). It will be fine...
I need to stop focusing in on the food aspect of things...and focus on what is really important. My family!
This is Jeremy's first Tegeler (my mom's side of the family) Thanksgiving and I hope he enjoys it! He isn't from a big extended family, and the Tegeler family is rather extensive...I don't think he gets "us", at times...but that's ok :).
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! And to all of those out there with dietary restrictions...I wish you the best! Happy, safe eating to everyone!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany