Sunday, November 9, 2008

Whew!

I am exhausted! Tonight Jeremy and I helped out at church with a concert our church hosted for our youth group. The event was publicized to other churches as well. Laura (my friend and the youth director's wife) and I helped out by providing the food. We were told to prepare food for 60 people.
We bought...
9 lbs (3 bags ) of frozen chicken breasts
10 lbs of hamburger
8 bags of salad blend lettuce
3 bags of shredded lettuce for tacos
18 cups of mexican blend cheese
2 large containers of sour cream
80 flour tortillas
24 corn hard taco shells
3 family size bags of Tostitos Scoops
3 large jars of salsa
1 large bag of rice
5 large cans of refried beans
10 packets of Ortega seasoning mix for the hamburger
2 jars of McCormick fajita seasoning for the chicken (yeah, this was way too much)
2 large jars of Ortega taco sauce
2 large bags of carrots
3 cake mixes
3 jars of frosting
...and some other random crap I forgot about!

The awesome thing, though, about preparing this meal was...I could actually eat with everyone and didn't have to worry about packing my own "special" gluten free meal! We made sure there was stuff for me...the chicken with fajita seasoning...gluten free. The tostitos...gluten free. Corn hard taco shells...gluten free. Lettuce, carrots, all naturally gluten free. It was great! Obviously, I wasn't able to eat dessert (the cake was not gluten free...just 'normal' Betty Crocker mix)...but I didn't even miss it!
It was great! It was an adventurous day,and it was great to feel pretty normal by eating what everyone else was eating! :)
Ok...now next Saturday I am pumped up to type "I made it a month"! (see 2 posts ago for an explanation ;) ).
For now, though...I survived my 23rd day of living gluten free (or, as gluten free as I could control!)

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany