Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Throwing caution to the wind...but living to tell about it

Well...sometimes you just gotta! ;) Today was a long day....including a run-in with a big kiddo...yup, I got beat up by a two-and-a-half-year-old today...{sigh}
Jeremy and I met up at our polling place, the McLean County Farm Bureau building not far from our home, after I got off work around 6:15 and cast our votes. After voting, we talked for a bit outside and tried to figure out our plan of attack for the evening. He was dressed for the gym, but I didn't have time to pack clothes this morning....and I was starved! We decided to go to Los Potrillo's....our FAVORITE Mexican restaurant here in Bloomington. This is the place I chose for my LAST "normal" meal on Friday night, October 17th...before going gluten free the next morning. I ate so much, I felt terrible later that evening...and wasn't sure if that was from the gluten in the food or from the quantity OF the food ;). It was a fitting "last hurrah." ;)
Well, we decided early on that Los Potrillo's was really impossible for me to give up. Really! We love this place! It's just us. We even went there on Valentine's Day (no it's NOT a "nice" restaurant...this is a story for another time ;) ). There have been weeks when we eat there twice in one week! Obsessed? Yes! And, nearly every time we are there...we get the same thing: a side of cheese dip to go with the chips and salsa everyone gets at their table, and we share a Burrito Loco...the HUGEST burrito you'll ever see (yes, significantly bigger than Chipotle, Moe's, or Q'doba, REALLY!). We get the burrito "with chicken, no lettuce, and beans on the side instead of rice." Some of the waiters there have even memorized our order. It's hilarious! We totally threw off our poor waiter today when I ordered something different! Jeremy ended up getting "our usual" and I got flautas. The burrito loco is made with a flour tortilla shell and the flautas were made with 4 small corn tortillas. Even though I know: 1) there is no use trying to explain gluten intolerance to a bunch of Mexican waiters for whom English is clearly a second language...I have no idea how I would do that! 2) Even if nothing was lost in translation (we all know this would be doubtful! ;) ), the chances for cross-contamination are abundant there...think of your favorite local authentic Mexican joint...they are delicious, but aren't the cleanest of places! ;). Well, I tried to at least control everything I could (order a dish made with corn tortillas instead of asking them to substitute corn tortillas into a dish typically made with a flour tortilla seemed simpler)...and just threw my hands up in the air and decided to just live it up tonight. Well, I do have a stomachache...but none of the crazy bloating and minimal cramps. No bathroom misadventures yet either! This could be a good thing! I am gonna go OD on fiber in a few minutes, though :). In my reading I learned that if you ever think you consumed some gluten, you should take lots of fiber (it IS "nature's broom", after all ;) ) and hope for the best.
Well, I made it 3.5 weeks trying to be as good as possible...this was my first real "cheat"...and it may have not have been that bad! :)
Tonight was one of those nights I just wanted to live....like I was used to! It felt great to share something NORMAL with my husband. I know I risk sounding like a huge fatty saying this, but it really blows to not be able to share that with him...I know, I sound so food obsessed! I am not really...but you can't really relate to what I am talking about unless you've experienced it. And if you haven't, you definitely don't want to!
So, I am grateful for tonight...and here's hoping my stomach is too ;).

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany