Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pumpkin bar recipe

A few posts ago, I mentioned a Thanksgiving dinner get-together we had with our friends Adam and Jami this past Friday night. Well, I thought I'd post the DELICIOUS Pumpkin Bar recipe...since they truly are pretty darn awesome! They are (of course) gluten free, but you'd really never know there was anything "different" about them. Jami made them initially because her mom is allergic to wheat and lots of spices, so she started experimenting with gluten-free flours. She gave me the recipe this past week and I made the bars for dessert for our dinner Friday. Jeremy loved them! That's a true test, because he's not typically overly excited about cake/bar type items. We also shared them with my brother Dan and his girlfriend Laura...and they also enjoyed them! Yahoo! Ok, without further ado, here's the lovely recipe! ;)

Jami and Rachel's Pumpkin Bars

1 small can of pumpkin (not the pie filling; just plain pumpkin)
2 c. sugar
1 c. oil
4 eggs
Mix these first four ingredients together, and then add:
2 c. flour (I used 3/4 c. tapioca flour and 1 1/4 c. Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Baking Mix)
2 t. cinnamon (the recipe doesn't call for it, but I also sprinkled in some nutmeg along with the cinnamon)
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
Also, Jami didn't make the bars with xanthan gum and reportedly they were fine...but I added about 1/4 t. xanthan gum

Bake in a 10x15 pan* at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Frost with the following icing recipe when cool.

Icing:
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. butter
8 oz. cream cheese
(I wanted a thinner icing, so I also added approximately 1 Tablespoon of milk).

These bars are truly awesome....ENJOY!

*I don't have a 10x15 pan...I have a larger sheet cake pan and a smaller bar pan...so I just baked them in a 9x13 cake pan. They were thicker (obviously) than bars typically are, but they were great!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany