Sunday, January 18, 2009

3 months!

WOW!! It's been three months...90+ days....1/4 of a year.....since I "gave up" gluten! I can hardly believe it's been that long! Even though, in the grand scheme of a lifetime, it's really not that long...it still feels like some kind of big feat, a milestone reached if you will. :)

I mean, I survived lots of big events during this time....my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Eve....talk about a rotten time to not be able to eat typical gluten-ous treats with everyone else!!!

And I did it! I still haven't cheated...not knowingly, anyway! Anyway, cheating unknowingly isn't really cheating, is it? I'd consider it more of an accident if it happened. If I was going to cheat, I would make it COUNT....we're not just counting getting incidental gluten from cross-contamination or something! We're talking, bread bowl from panera.....garlic bread sticks from anywhere....broccoli cheese soup from chili's. Yeah, cheating has crossed my mind more than just a few times ;).

I tried these for the first time today:

They are awesome! I purchased them yesterday at Naturally Yours here in Bloomington. They are actually quite tasty! As I've said many times, one of my biggest woes has been finding gluten free bread-type products that TASTE tolerable...and maybe even good. Well, these weren't just tolerable...they really tasted rather good! I wrapped up some Boar's Head sliced deli turkey (Boar's Head products are gluten free, all-natural, and DELICIOUS...available at Kroger here in Bloomington), cheddar cheese, and hummus in one of these bad boys and tossed it in the toaster oven with a little more cheese on top. I baked it for 5 minutes, then broiled it for a few minutes to melt the cheese on top and to get the tortilla kind of crispy...it was great! I ate it for lunch today and honestly enjoyed it. Sweet!

I hope they are good cold...we'll see. I would like to be able to bring them to work in my lunches. (I am not a fan of using microwaves, and we don't have a toaster oven at work!)

Have a wonderful week, all!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany