Sunday, January 4, 2009

Chili's

Jeremy and I LOVE Chili's...in fact, our first date was to the Chili's in Davenport, IA (near Augustana, where we were both attending school). We typically go to Chili's at least once per month...but we hadn't been in about 3 months, since before I started the gluten-free diet! Chili's does have a gluten-free menu, we just hadn't had the chance to try it out yet. Well, Jeremy got a gift card to Chili's in his stocking from his parents, so we decided to go on a date last night to Chili's!

I was sooo excited, because I had looked at the gluten-free menu beforehand and knew they had baked potato soup that was gluten free! I was so pumped to have a "real" soup that I could eat! I ordered the soup and a chicken Caesar salad. The soup was AWESOME!! The salad came out with a visible crouton on it, and maybe more hidden croutons...so I sent it back. I explained that I couldn't eat anything that had touched wheat, so it wouldn't work just to pick it out. I felt bad, but they were nice to me about it. A manager even came out and apologized to me. I thought that was very nice. The second time it came out it had clearly been entirely re-made...and it was fantastic!

All in all, I was VERY satisfied with my experience at Chili's and would definitely return! :) It was very encouraging to me!! It's great to know that something that was a part of our life pre-gluten-free menu doesn't have to be entirely eliminated from our lives...just modified. Sure I can't order mozzarella sticks (what we ordered as an appetizer on our first date...and Jeremy was "impressed" because I wasn't a wimpy eater and ate HALF of the cheese sticks...what was I thinking?! :))....or the turkey sandwich and broccoli cheese soup (the entree I ordered on our first date and on many visits thereafter...Chili's broccoli cheese soup is my favorite EVER!!), nor can I order the fajitas (we often would order the "fajitas for two" entree)...but I can be completely satisfied with the baked potato soup and Caesar salad...plus there are some other things that look good that I will try on subsequent visits!

YAHOO for CHILI'S!!!! :)

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany