Sunday, January 11, 2009

WIMP!

Last night we had dinner at J Buck's, a nice restaurant here in town, with Sarah, Chuck, Alec, and my brother Dan and his girlfriend Laura. I was really looking forward to a nice night out, but unfortunately I had a darn stomachache after eating my grilled chicken and "smashed" potatoes. I know it's really my own fault. I am a wimp! I wasn't absolutely clear with the waiter about all of the details (cross contamination on the grill, with utensils, etc)...and I am sure that's why it happened :(. I need to get more assertive! It's MY health, after all!

It was frustrating...I hate making a scene or causing problems...I know it shouldn't be a huge, obnoxious issue, but it sure feels like one! Anything that makes you feel "different" from anyone else, especially your friends, is really irritating. We ordered around 8pm, and it wasn't terribly busy, but I still felt bad taking a lot of time from the waiter to explain my diet. I told him I couldn't have wheat or gluten and asked him to check for me to see if the grilled chicken sandwich (sans bun of course!) and french fries would be ok for me. He checked, and told me the french fries weren't because they were lightly breaded, but that the smashed potatoes and some other sides would be ok as substitutes. That was really good of him to check and find out. Still not enough, though.

It was fun to spend time with friends, but it was annoying to have to deal with the side effects of cross contamination (including a lovely trip to the restaurant bathroom before we were done).

Sigh.

I just want a NORMAL day...one in which I don't have to talk about Celiac disease and my "problem". I am tired of living a life ruled by food.

Some days are really pretty easy, others are irritating and difficult. Yesterday was one of the latter!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany