Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Some new favorite products...and an old favorite as well!

First, a sweet treat: Mi-Del brand gluten-free ginger snaps! I originally bought these from our local Meijer grocery store with the intent of keeping them on hand to use to make a graham-cracker style crust for a pie or cheesecake (I had read that gluten-free gingersnaps are a good substitution for making a gluten-free version of these kinds of crusts)...but I ended up opening the bag out of curiosity and loved them! It's a pretty big bag of them, so I think they will last me a while ;). I do, though, plan on purchasing a fresh bag at some point in the not-so-distant future to try to make a crust for some kind of delicious dessert! Don't worry, I will keep you informed :).

Next, Blue Diamond Naturals' Almond Nut Thin crackers...Jeremy's mom had these on hand for me this past weekend during our visit to their house. I had previously tried the Cheddar variety, and they were decent. The Almond ones, though, are fantastic! I really like them a lot. The are light, airy, and perfectly salty. They are great plain, or with cheese or peanut butter. I would definitely recommend them! There are other varieties as well (including Pecan and Hazelnut), but so far I have only tried the Almond and Cheddar. They sound great, though, so I will probably have to indulge myself at some point!! :)

Third...here's tonight's dinner: De Boles' Gluten Free Rice Pasta and Cheese (or, gluten free macaroni and cheese!). Consensus? Not bad...in fact, it's pretty darn good! I am enjoying some right now as I type, in fact! This afternoon I was at a child's home that was literally down the street from Kroger, so I stopped in to buy some Boar's Head deli turkey (gluten free, all natural, and fabulous!!). I noticed that they had a natural foods section, so I meandered by and found tons of gluten free products, including this! I have seen, purchased, and enjoyed De Boles brand pastas before, but never the macaroni and cheese variety! I had high hopes and, while it's no Kraft ;), it didn't disappoint. This product, as with many other gluten free products, reminds me that I need to remember to separate the gluten free from the gluten-ous...meaning, if I tell myself "I am eating rice pasta with all-natural cheese sauce" and not "I am eating something that should taste like Kraft macaroni and cheese...but doesn't"...things really aren't that bad.
Last...also during my trip to Kroger, I found 3 new varieties of Larabars! I bought Banana Bread, Key Lime Pie, and Lemon Bar...we'll see!! :)
Have a lovely day, all! I am off to enjoy the rest of my delicious pasta!! :)
if anyone reading this is from Bloomington, note that the Kroger I am referring to is the Kroger on College, not Oakland....they seem to have a better selection! The natural foods are behind the produce department and the gluten free foods are mixed in with the non-gluten-free foods, for example the crackers are located in the "Crackers" section, and not in a specific "gluten-free" section, the pasta in the pasta section...and so on. Enjoy! And GO KROGER!! (They are cheaper than Meijer and Naturally Yours, too! :))

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wait... hold the phone. I AM FROM WINNEBAGO, IL!!! and I love scrapbooking and republicans and I am also a church-goer. WHAT? where have you been all my life.

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany