Saturday, October 18, 2008

Day one

Well....here it is, day one of trying to be gluten free. Chosing a Saturday to start is kind of a depressing thing...weekends are "supposed" be carefree! Riiiight....I have a feeling this gluten-free journey is going to be an uphill battle. For example, do I need to get specifically gluten free toothpaste? No clue! I need to find a list of brands or something of toothpaste and toiletries such as lip gloss that are ok for celiacs to have in and/or near their mouths!
I am meeting a co-worker from the Peoria office for breakfast today...she is dogsitting for a friend here in Bloomington this weekend. Where are we meeting, you ask? Panera. Um. HELLO GLUTEN! ;) I already decided what I am doing...I am eating some of my new hot rice cereal before I go and then I am going to purchase a large fruit cup at Panera and rinse it off with water from the soda fountain area. Seriously. You know, in case any rougue bread crumbs got onto the fruit! HAHA!!! I have a feeling this is "cross-contamination" central and that in reality I need to say good-bye to Panera...but we'll make due for today.
Later tonight we are going to Josh and Laura's for dinner. I am going to bring a few of my own things, so I will have something to eat for certain. It will be good practice. It is going to be weird, and I will probably feel a bit obnoxious bringing some of my own foods...but I think ultimately people will get used to it and maybe even understand a little bit. I don't want to be sick! I am just trying to be responsible and take care of myself. Really!
I thought about waiting to start until Monday...but honestly, I know there will never be a "good" time to start. There will always be something, SOME event, SOME friend who invited us for dinner, etc. I also thought about waiting until my 26th birthday...which is on Tuesday the 28th. No cheddar bay biscuits at Red Lobster (perhaps my favorite restaurant ever :) ) this year?! Sigh. No better time than the present! So, here goes nothing....
Wish me luck!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany